Old 27-08-2006, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_2_] Robert[_2_] is offline

Default pruning first year rhubarb

"NC" wrote in message ...
: Well... its 'almost' first year. I bought 2 crows from the garden centre
: - there were about 3 stalks on each of the two crowns that were about
: 12" long. Therefore not sure if this technically first or second year ?
:
: I planted it out in about Feb using lots of manure and bone meal - it
: has thrived. Each crown now has about 10-12 thick stalks, with nice
: large leaves.
:
: I have read that rhubarb should not be picked in the first year so as to
: ensure the roots are strong. However, it really is starting to spread
: and looks very healthy. Should I resist the urge to remove some stalks
: for the pot, and just allow the leaves and stalks to die back in their
: own time ? Or can I pick some... but will this stunt the growth of the
: root system ?

In theory you shouldn't pick any but in practice, if it's that healthy it
isn't going to miss a few leaves, especially at this time of year