Old 01-09-2006, 09:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William L. Rose William L. Rose is offline

Default Do plants absorb toxins from the soil?

Alas, I fear you may be right. I must have miss con-screwed
http://www.agls.uidaho.edu/etoxweb/l.../L15_EBIO.pdf#
search=%22breakdown%20of%20nerium%20oleander%20tox ins%22 but it needn't
lead to defecation of character. The rather subtle point that I was
trying to make was that organic toxins need to pass from one organism to
the next to maintain their toxicity and would probably break down
quickly once they leave the protection of the organism. Yes, I am
relying on "divine revelation" here but I'm sure she won't ca-)
(This is where you smile.)
- Bill

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:24:21 -0700, "William L. Rose"
wrote:

Listings that I've read refer to ingestion of oleander for toxic effects
in mammals, birds, reptiles. As long as you don't eat Monarch butterfly
there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Monarch caterpillars eat milkweed, not oleanders. While they both
contain cardiac glycosides, and oleander aphids plague my milkweed
plants, monarchs prefer milkweeds.

Penelope, who has monarch caterpillars munching her milkweed right
now.