Old 27-09-2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ron Hardin Ron Hardin is offline

Default New mower blade

JaxDawg wrote:

As a follow-up...
I called a local lawn mower place. They tell me that new blades are
covered with paint, and that as the paint comes off - the blades will
be sharp.
Time will tell...

I've been cutting my acre with a scythe for a couple years, and the
scythe works on grass only with a razor-sharp edge, which means
stopping to resharpen every dozen strokes sometimes, just to
indicate how fast an edge wears against grass.

(The stopping doesn't actually slow you down, since it's also a
rest, meaning you can work faster when working since a rest is
coming up pretty fast periodically)

The sharpness needed on a scythe though is so that half-cut grass
doesn't hang up on the edge and form a clot, which I imagine does not
bother the nearly-broadside cutting of a mower blade.

--
Ron Hardin