Old 28-09-2006, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Eucalyptus ficifolia seeds

On 28/9/06 09:12, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
So - having brought 4 or 5 home, has anyone experience of sowing these,

time
of germination, general preferences etc? For those who haven't seen them,
they're extraordinarily large - one description has them as the bowl of a
small pipe!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I thought eucalypt seed was fine and dust like inside the containers?
Normally it will disperse after fires but if you crush the seed to get it
out then the advice is to surface sow the debris and not bother to try and
remove the chaff except the big bits of case. I don't know whether that
applies to all but it has certainly been the case with all those I have
tried to date. I have now given up as although I get them to germinate and
grow, the wind soon has them over. I think they are great trees as the shade
is light and the smell is wonderful (and said to deter mossies!)

Thanks, Charlie. I don't think you've seen David Poole's post about this.
He refers to the need for fire, too - bit like the pesky Romneya!