Old 29-09-2006, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DavePoole Torquay DavePoole  Torquay is offline

Default Eucalyptus ficifolia seeds

Sacha wrote:

Very many thanks for all this, David - just what we needed! When you say
there's no guarantee as to colour, do you mean that because we picked up
seed from a red flowering tree, the flowers won't necessarily be red from
our seedlings?

Yes. Flower colour is naturally variable and a red/orange flowered
parent will not necessarily yield 100% same coloured progeny, although
in *pure* ficifolia you might reasonably expect a 'selfed' red, cream
or pink to produce similar seedlings. Complications arise because
ficifolia readily interbreeds with a very closely related, larger
growing species - C. calophylla. This has broader, even more handsome
leaves, darker coloured bark and flowers that are predominantly white
or pink. Whilst it is relatively easy to identify even non-flowering
plants of either species when compared side by side, hybrids between
the two are far more difficult.

Unfortunately, in cultivation there seems to be many of these hybrids
or trees with this lineage several generations back. As a result, a
tree that has 'selfed' from a parent that has 'selfed' from an original
ficifolia x calophylla can superficially appear to be ficifolia, but
produce seedlings that have a variety of colours. Add to this the
natural variability of ficifolia and the likelihood of a range of
colours is quite high.

To be honest, I'm sure you'll be delighted with the results whatever
the colour. A characteristic of both species is that they flower after
they have completed their growth for the year and that flowers are
carried in large, showy clusters well above the foliage. In most true
Eucalyptus, the flowers are borne singly or in small clusters within
the leaf axils and are often partially hidden by the leaves. Even a
cream coloured variant amongst your seedlings will have considerable
'wow' factor when in full flower.