Old 10-10-2006, 05:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Corn only 3 feet tall

sunflower_info wrote:

Kay Lancaster Wrote:

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 03:25:22 GMT, Joseph A. Zupko
wrote:-
It already have the pollen developing and tassels. What can cause
corn grow
so short? I see this in other gardens here at the community garden. -

Late planting, cold temps at the V5 development stage, not enough
water,
not enough fertilizer and water, wrong genotype for the latitude,
short genotype....

Sometimes you can use latitude to your advantage when trying to get
very tall corn.

20 foot 1 inch tall maize
[image:
http://www.gardenpics.com/photos/dat...t_9_28_06.JPG]

That picture reminds me of something from my childhood. I had 2 uncles
who owned a big farm in Ohio. Mostly they grew corn. Out of countless
thousands of plants on hundreds of acres, sometimes one plant would grow
much taller than all the others. Some sort of genetic mutation or at
least a genetic difference.
Anyway, I remember one day when one of the uncles brought back a really
tall corn plant to show everyone. I don't think it was quite as tall as
the one in the picture but it was very tall.

Steve