Old 25-12-2006, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default plants in water bowl

mertin wrote:

... saw on a cable tv program some plants that were growing in a living
room in a nice water bowl, apparently these plants were very colorfull
and could live for long periods .. this is as much as I know.

I guess will be some pond plant that can be grown indoors... any idea?

This is one of the things that it is stuck in her mind, so I only have
2 solutions get these or sleep in the shed....

Hydroponics is crop production with mineral nutrient solutions instead
of soil containing silt and clay. Terrestrial plants may be grown with
their roots in the mineral nutrient solution only or in an inert
medium, such as perlite, gravel or rockwool. A variety of techniques
exist.

Plant physiology researchers discovered in the 1800s that plants absorb
essential mineral nutrients as inorganic ions in water. In natural
conditions, soil acts as a mineral nutrient reservoir but the soil
itself is not essential to plant growth.

When the mineral nutrients in the soil dissolve in water, plant roots
are able to absorb them. When the required mineral nutrients are
introduced into a plant's water supply artificially, soil is no longer
required for the plant to thrive.

Almost any terrestrial plant will grow with hydroponics, but some will
do better than others. It is also very easy to do; the activity is
often undertaken by very young children with such plants as watercress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroponics