Old 26-12-2006, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default plants in water bowl

mertin wrote:
Hello,
This question is from my wife...
She saw on a cable tv program some plants that were growing in a living
room in a nice water bowl, apparently these plants were very colorfull
and could live for long periods .. this is as much as I know.

Found it. I had read an article about it not long ago. The plant you're
looking for is Alternanthera reineckii, with purple and red tinged
foliage. It grows really well totally submerged in a glass vase.
There's brazilian pondweed too, (which looks very much like the grass I
give to my gold fishes) and eel grass Vallisnera americana. Many others
can be grown like this - tepid tapwater is the only stuff that's
required too. HTH