Old 24-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Wendy B G

Default Snapdragons, Pansies

Also, I saw some nice pansies. I shy away from them as they just seem so
delicate to me. I tend to like hearty plants as I don't want a garden of
wilted and sorry flowers. Are pansies as fragile as they appear?

In a situation that conforms to their needs, pansies are not fragile at all. In
fact, in the right circumstance, a pansy will bloom continuously for 9 months,
longer than any other flowering plant I have grown.

The most important thing about pansies is: they cannot tolerate heat. They can
tolerate cold, including 2 feet of snow. They like sun, as long as they have
cool, moist earth. They won't bloom well in the shade, though they will grow
greenery.

Remove the spent blooms, and they will set new flowers immediately.

I plant pansies in late September, once the heat has declined. They begin to
bloom in the fall. If the winter is unusually warm, they bloom throughout the
winter. If it snows, they simply wait. Once the snow melts, they begin to grow
again. Then, they bloom continuously until July, when they die from the heat.

This is the perfect time to plant pansies, since the weather is just beginning
to warm. If you plant them in pots, try to use non-heat-absorbing pots (such as
white plastic).

Wendy
Wilmington, DE (Zone 7)