Old 13-01-2007, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default conifer hedge turning brown problem

writes
Hi,

I have a hedge made up of 5 conifers. I think they are leyland cypress
types.The hedge is around 20ft tall. I also have a tree in close
proximity to the hedge, and up until 2 years ago this was covering a
portion of the hedge. The tree was pruned 2 years ago and the hedge
when exposed showed a small brown area. Over 2 years this area has died
off but shows a few green leaves. Not knowing anything about gardening,
my reasoning was that the tree covered the hedge leaves and caused
this.

Yes, they'll die off where they're completely shaded by an adjacent tree
or wall

In november 2006 the hedge was pruned to remove the new growth, shorty
after this I noticed that there are some other brown patches appearing
nowhere near the tree. They are randomly scattered and are in the
middle of the hedge height wise.

If the pruning was severe enough to cut beyond the green growth here and
there, then that region of the tree is unlikely to sprout any new growth
and will remain brown.

Around 1 year ago I covered the area around the based of the conifers
with cobbles to prevent cats using the soft soil as a toilet. Its not
totally covered but the cobbles run in a row underneath and along the
hedge. Someone recently told me they once covered the base of a conifer
with pebbles and it killed it? Is there any reasoning behind this?

I would be surprised by that

--
Kay