Old 17-01-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Minister The Minister is offline

Default conifer hedge turning brown problem

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
It's because you left it too long before getting someone to tidy it up,
once
at the proper height for a hedge (say 2 metres) you must start pruning
and
cutting, just nipping out tips to start with, especially with a conifer
for
the reason Kay mentioned.
A Leylandii hedge is very high maintenance as they grow so fast, needs
cutting twice a year minimum to look any good and keep it within bounds
as
they never stop growing, in fact nobody knows how big they will grow
eventually as every one ever planted is still growing bigger.
--
Regards
Bob H

I do have it cut twice a year, however when that is done its generally
'new growth' that is pruned. I don't really have a clue about gardening
at all, but the hedge if not pruned, it kind of 'bushes' out a bit at
the sides and top, I wouldn't think it would grow to these so called
epic proportions if not cut. Maybe my hedge is not the type that grows
like mad, but I have done some research using books into what type it
could be. All the books mention buds on the leaves, and this has none
at the moment (I am assuming these will come in spring). Based on the
leaf type only, it is one or a derivative of these:

- false cypress
- leyland cypress
- arbor-vitae (leaves match but all examples look like bushes not high
hedges)

What about fertilizer or some kind of soil feed, is there anything I
can do with regards to this to stimulate growth of the brown area?

James

Could the hedge be Thuja-similar to Leylandii but with the important
difference that it can regenerate. ? Worth having a Goole.

Thuja does regenerate also so does LLeyandii if an affected part is cut
off where is joins the trunk but often as you say LLeyandii does not
respond as other Thuja types