Old 21-01-2007, 12:09 PM posted to alt.permaculture
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default Permaculture in Iceland

In article . com,
"hr.oskar" wrote:

I'm sorry to say I actually gave up on this group a few days after
posting, as I noticed there was lots of spam posts and not much
activity. So I'm pleasantly surprised now to see there were replies.

It's not very active, but i check it every now and again.

Chookie, in a sense you have more to show for than me, since I still
don't have anything resembling a yield! Well, I happened to start
gardening late autumn and obviously now it's winter and freezing cold.

It's been a hot one here today; here it is 23:00 and still 29 C. Our maximum
was just under 41 C! I was relieved to see that most of my
recently-transplanted seedlings still looked happy at 15:00, and was able to
water them all at 16:00 (we are only allowed to water our gardens on
Wednesdays and Sundays, and then not between 10:00 and 16:00). OTOH my kale
(which have been growing since last autumn) are plainly sunburnt :-( At least
they are shading other plants.

In any case, the Australian environment is totally different from
Iceland in so many ways, according to what I've read. If you see a
rowan over there... then I think it got lost!

LOL, it depends where. In the 19th century there were Acclimatisation
Societies that brought all sorts of plants and animals here (some became
pests, unfirtunately). There may well be rowans growing in gardens in the
Australian Alps, and in Tasmania, which has a cool-temperate climate.

Anyway I'm pretty much out of gardening jobs for now, as the country's
totally covered with snow these days. I've been in contact with the
local crowd of activists and alternative lifestyle people, hoping to
tell them a bit about pc so we could form a community here. A little
help from someone experienced in pc would go a long way, if someone's
travelling to Iceland in the coming months that is...

Not me :-) But I imagine it is a good time for you to think of ideas for next
growing season. I tend to do planning in late summer as it's too *hot* to
garden comfortably!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue