Old 25-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Penny Morgan

Default How many basil seeds per pot?

You don't need to do anything with the seeds prior to planting. They are
very tiny black seeds that remind me of poppy seeds on bagels. I would fill
your window box and pots with a half potting soil/half composted manure
(just mix it together). You can scatter the seeds across the window box and
cover them with 1/4" potting soil. Wet the soil by misting with a spray
bottle. Soak it very well and put the box in full sun. Check the soil
daily and moisten with spray bottle to germinate the seeds. Once you have
some sprouts, you can use 1/2 strength fish emulsion to fertilize them. In
other words, use 1/2 TBSP per gallon instead of 1 TBSP per gallon water.
Once the plants get to about 1-2" tall, take a spoon and dig under the roots
and separate the plants. Plant them in the pots and window box. I tend to
grow mine closer than packages say because they always allow for maximum
growing space. You could space them 4-6" apart and still get some nice
bushy plants. When you develop two side shoots, pinch the middle two leaves
off to promote more branching and fullness. Always take the middle two
leaves out on all the branches and you'll have a very full plant.

Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"jason molinari" wrote in message
om...
Hey all. I need some help with planting my genovese basil seeds. I
have a long window planter box, i think its about 36" x 6", and also
some 10" pots.
How many seeds can i put in each of these? It says on the package that
they need to be spaced 12" apart, but that only allows me to plant 3
plants in the box and 1 seed in the pot! That seems like very few.
Also these will be grown in the pots permanently, as i dont have a
garden.
They will be lots of sun on my porch.
Also do i need to do anything with the seeds before planting them?

thanks
jason