Old 14-02-2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Tristan Tristan is offline

Default Sick koi and need advice (with pics)

Totally assinine information given by an obnoxious individual that
thinks they know all but really knows very little. This person is
notorious for passing out erroneous info and any info given by her
should not be trusted to even be inline with what was asked or
relavant to the situation. In most folks opinions its better to do
without informaiton by this person than to chance usuing any of it.

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:20:12 -0600, Zëbulon
wrote:

"scs0" wrote in message
legroups.com...
From what I've gathered my koi's problem may be:

Carp pox (aka Lymphocystis)

Since it's lived so long it's probably pox. You can also check
www.koivet.com for more information on koi diseases.

Or
Koi herpes

I'm unclear on whether or not Carp Pox and Koi Herpes are different
diseases or just the same name for the same thing.

I don't want to kill the fish, but it certainly sounds like I should
isolate this one.

That's what I did with mine because of her beauty, but the pox always came
back. I finally decided she had to go.

Yea put the fish insoomeone elses pond and let them catch the
aftereffects...Really nice compasionate and reliable individual is
what yu are CArol....I assume its safe to say you would push your ownn
mother out ino the streets if she became a leper so you would not
have to deal with it. Your a real gem carol one of a kind!

That's a bit of a pain considering the size these
fish are getting to, but one thing I learned is that these bigger fish
are much lazier and easier to catch than the impossible-to-catch
younger ones. I definitely don't want to contact the Department of
Agriculture. Government and environmental issues are a scary thing to
mix and I've heard the horror stories. I'd probably end up with 100
euthanized koi and a demolished pond. I'll be lucky if they don't
find a way to condemn my property altogether!

Then separate the fish until you decide what to do with it. My fish was with
the others for months and none of them were infected with the pox. It
doesn't spread like wildfire. Even her fry were not infected. I kept a
healthy fry from her to replace her. It will be 2 years old in April and no
pox.

I would like to get out of this without the death of this fish. I've
never really liked its color patterns too much but that's a mean
reason to settle for its euthanization!

Don't worry; the last thing I'll do is release this fish into the wild
or any other body of water for that matter.

-------