Old 01-03-2007, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] thomas.rynne@gmail.com is offline

Default Growing Potatoes in Straw

Hello,
I am planning to grow a row of potatoes in straw this year as I have
heard that you get a better yield. I have read this American article:
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/VegFruit/potatoes.htm and this
discussion http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.gardening/
browse_thread/thread/b1eb4201de24cbe8/2355e3b834289e0d?
lnk=gst&q=potatoes+straw&rnum=1#2355e3b834289e0d but I still have a
few questions.

My plan is to put the potatoes in a 9 inch trench filled with straw
but I am unsure when I should apply more straw. The web page says:
"As potato plants emerge, add another four-to-six inches of straw."
Do I do this immediately or once the plants are 4-6 inches tall.
Should I completely cover the new growth?. Do I repeat this when the
new growth emerges?

I have also read about growing potatoes in boxes/tyres. Is this the
same principle accept that a stacking box allows you to add more
layers of straw?

thanks for any advice.
Thomas