Old 01-03-2007, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Growing Potatoes in Straw

HI Thomas

On 1 Mar 2007 04:47:30 -0800, wrote:

Hello,
I am planning to grow a row of potatoes in straw this year as I have
heard that you get a better yield. I have read this American article:
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/VegFruit/potatoes.htm and this
discussion
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.gardening/
browse_thread/thread/b1eb4201de24cbe8/2355e3b834289e0d?
lnk=gst&q=potatoes+straw&rnum=1#2355e3b834289e0 d but I still have a
few questions.

My plan is to put the potatoes in a 9 inch trench filled with straw
but I am unsure when I should apply more straw. The web page says:
"As potato plants emerge, add another four-to-six inches of straw."
Do I do this immediately or once the plants are 4-6 inches tall.
Should I completely cover the new growth?. Do I repeat this when the
new growth emerges?

I have also read about growing potatoes in boxes/tyres. Is this the
same principle accept that a stacking box allows you to add more
layers of straw?

thanks for any advice.
Thomas

Don't know about the relative yeilds - but for sheer convenience you
can't beat the straw method we used the last couple of years.

Prepare the ground as usual.
Place the chitted tubers on top of the soil
Add a layer of straw
When the greenery comes through the straw -
add more straw
Repeat until the potatoes flower

To harvest - lift the straw with a fork and pick up the potatoes.

If growing outside you'll probably need something like chicken wire to
retain the straw in case it's windy - if growing in a polytunnel this
is less of a problem.

At the end of the season - dig the straw into the soil...

Worked for me ! g

Regards
Adrian