Old 01-03-2007, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Growing Potatoes in Straw

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I am planning to grow a row of potatoes in straw this year as I have
heard that you get a better yield. I have read this American article:
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/VegFruit/potatoes.htm and this
discussion http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.gardening/
browse_thread/thread/b1eb4201de24cbe8/2355e3b834289e0d?
lnk=gst&q=potatoes+straw&rnum=1#2355e3b834289e0d but I still have a
few questions.

My plan is to put the potatoes in a 9 inch trench filled with straw
but I am unsure when I should apply more straw. The web page says:
"As potato plants emerge, add another four-to-six inches of straw."
Do I do this immediately or once the plants are 4-6 inches tall.
Should I completely cover the new growth?. Do I repeat this when the
new growth emerges?

I started to read the fist cite you gave but didn't bother to complete it as
it's ridiculously complex and more work than is needed.

I've grown spuds under straw for years. This is how I do it. Decide where
you are going to put the plot - anywhere will do - previously prepared
ground, grass or a weed strewn patch. If the area is full of long grass and
weeds then slash it or trample down the weeds. Put the spuds which have
good eyes on the ground in a grid pattern - about 18 inches appart seems to
work for me. Cover the spuds with straw fluffed and loosened till they are
about 3 fett under the straw. shovel on heaps of manure of some sort.
water well then top with aobut 3 more feet of fluffed up straw. Water
again. Walk away.

When the spuds have emerged and about a foot all, you'll notice that the
fluffed up straw has collapsed a lot. Put on more fluffed up straw till
only about 6 inches of the spuds are showing. Repeat as necessary to make
sure that the spuds are weel covered and won't end up being green. Remember
that spuds, like tomatoes will put out new roots all up the stem and thus be
able to form more spuds wherever they put out new roots.

I have also read about growing potatoes in boxes/tyres. Is this the
same principle accept that a stacking box allows you to add more
layers of straw?

Yep and also takes advantage of the feature that I mentioned of putting out
new roots right up the stem.