Old 02-03-2007, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Spragg Andy Spragg is offline

Default Growing Potatoes in Straw

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 22:08:42 GMT, Anne Jackson wrote:

The message from "La Puce" contains these words:

So I wouldn't use tyres to grow my potatoes in ;o)

Bob Flowerdew seemed to have no problems using the 'tyre' method.

I tried it once. It foundered not on the theoretical objection of the
tubers picking up nasty substances from the vulcanized rubber, but on the
thoroughly practical objection that I ended up with less tuber biomass than
I planted in the first place. However, I tried the method because I saw it
demoed on TV (probably was Bob F), and the end product as I recall was a
stack of tyres about four feet high, stuffed to the gunnels with potatoes.
So I must have done something wrong ...

Andy

--
spargeatbtinternetdotcom