Old 27-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Lar

Default Silver maple and wood boring ants

In article DYqga.62277$s75.21944403
@twister.columbus.rr.com,
says...
Does this diagnosis sound plausible? Is it common for silver maples? How can
it be prevented (I have other silver maples in the yard)? How can it be
treated? What is the prognosis for the tree?

As another posted, ants will actually be beneficial to
the tree, they will tunnel into already rotting wood. I
have seen different type of ant "mimic" borers called
"ant borers", whether there is a specific ant copycat
type of borer common to silver maples, that can be a
pest, I don't know. But these would not of caused the
natural occurring cavity in the tree you are describing.
--
Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!