Old 20-03-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] jerry_friedman@yahoo.com is offline

Default transplanting asparagus

On Mar 18, 1:27 pm, "Val" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I was hoping
someone around here had made the same mistake I made and had some
experience with transplanting asparagus that had just broken out of
dormancy.

--
JerryFriedman

I "Googled" transplanting wild asparagus. Got thousands of hits and there's
loads of info, much of which was about moving non dormant plants. The
internet isn't just for newsgroups anymore
To sum it up in easy to understand vernacular..........don't. If you've
already moved it wait to see if any survive, if they don't try it again at
the proper time.

You must have a lot more patience than I do, since I just tried your
search and looked at a number of pages without finding anything so
explicit. (Naturally, I'd looked before, though without the word
"wild".) Anyway, I've followed your retroactive advice, and I can
tell you the one in my garden hasn't died yet. :-) (Some others are
in a friend's garden.)

Incidentally, some of the pages say this is really hard and you have
to get roots at least a foot long and stuff like that. But the plant
I moved in winter that sprouted probably didn't have roots even six
inches long after I dug it up in my usual clumsy and impatient way.
On the other hand, the other one I moved may have died. Maybe a 50%
success rate isn't good enough for some people.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

--
Jerry Friedman