Old 21-03-2007, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Why won't my lemons grow??

Ivan wrote:
Hi there..

Thank you all so much for your reassuring replies.
They've been green for a while now, and we've been having some really
hot and dry weather, which made me assume would cause the lemons to
ripen earlier .. I guess I was mistaken though.
The tree has lotsof lemons of different sizes so I will be looking
forward to its fruits all year.. I recently bought this house with the
lemon tree in the back.. It was almost dead with no fruits nor any
flowers when I got here .. The tree had fallen to its side and was
being held up with a plank of wood..
When I got here I started taking care of it, watering it, cutting off
dead branches, and a few months later it's flowering like I've never
seen before.
I had no idea lemon trees flowered.
Can I assume this is a good sign of a healthy tree?

Unfortunately, some plants put out an extra effort to reproduce
(flowering and fruiting) just as they are dying. Citrus will flower
well when very healthy and also when dying. The difference is seen in
how well it produces new foliage, which will soon slow as you enter your
southern autumn. Thus, you really won't know for about 6 months whether
your tree is doing well.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean