Old 03-04-2007, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Twiggy Pea Sticks

On 3/4/07 13:48, in article ,
"MikeCT" wrote:

"Melanie" wrote in a message:
This is probably a daft question, but ... The advice is to support peas
with "twiggy pea sticks". I have no trees and no suitable shrubs in my
garden to cut any "twiggy pea sticks". Are these things available (cheap)
in the garden centres, or do I have to roam the countryside armed with
secateurs, dodging the twiggy pea stick police and irate landowners?

---
Hi Melanie,
There are still a few discarded small, 'real' Christmas trees in my home
area, just the job for supporting pea plants. I can imagine a line of
Christmas trees in the veg garden covered in pea plants, at least it would
give the poor things a second innings. Search around and you too might find
a few just waiting to be re-used.

Last year, we'd just trimmed a hazel hedge at the side of the nursery. I
rescued some pea sticks from the bonfire heap and when a customer wanted
some, told her to help herself. Melanie could look out for neighbours
cutting back hedges and nurseries doing the same. Failing that you can find
stems of the contorted willow in florists' shops (known as wiggly Arthur to
this family!) but they tend to be pretty expensive.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk