Old 16-04-2007, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Growing grapes

On 16 Apr, 20:49, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
"Anne Jackson" wrote in message

[...] I remember reading/hearing (perhaps on a visit to Kew) that when their
great vine was planted a dead horse was put in the planting hole, then
they put in the vine...

Doesn't that sound like quite a good way to kill a vine?

--
Mike.

I doubt a horse, but a dead sheep was common, it provides a slow
release of fertilizer over several years as the different parts of the
body break down,
it could still be a good way to get rid of road kill as long as you
have ground that you could dig deep enough to bury it properly
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries