Old 20-04-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Whats the best thing to keep cats out.......... ?

On 20 Apr, 08:29, "Donna \(UK\)" wrote:
Well we have the same problem and even the dog doesnt keep the cats away!
They just look in disgust and find a higher perch to sit at...
I have read various ways such as hanging CD's up, putting orange peel on the
garden and "SilentRoar" pellets. Not tried them myself yet though...

The CDs are a strange concept really - I've read it somewhere in here
last week and thought it quite strange. I've never seen cats being
detered by hang CDs. Birds on the other hand are quite worried of
them. But I've used Silent Roar and it was great. It worked the
longest, but around 4 weeks is too short time for the cost of the
product. I only wish we were closer to a zoo. I have to find something
else myself. I've tried scatered crystals which made us very sick for
the smell was really over powering. Didn't last more than 2 weeks.
We've tried the plastic rod smelling of citronela. Didn't last either,
and I keep finding the rods with a pooh next to it ...

My tom's too old to be bothered of other cats and my she cat Lilly aka
Duchesse is most of the time on her cushion on a platform on the
second floor landing. She couldn't care who's or what's in the garden.
She's well above it all.

So far what worked for the cats from across the road is WATER from
water pistols held by kids. My kids enjoy this very much indeed. I
haven't seen 2 of hte 6 cats who had the courage to try our cat flap
into our kitchen even though we have 2 huge Belgium Shepperd dogs.
Dogs didn't deter them but well aimed water pistol did. I never tried
the ultrasound things - I don't like techy stuff in a garden.

So I recommend water pistols which are really good fun and don't hurt,
perhaps only some pride. If your garden is big enough, a water spray
on a switch would be handy. Every time the cats come in, switch it
on ! We've got a water pistol at the ready on every window seals.
Roll on summer ))