Old 20-04-2007, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Whats the best thing to keep cats out.......... ?

"Howard Haigh" wrote in message

You could try an ultrasonic pet scarer - these are small battery powered
devices that look a bit like the PIR detectors that are included in home
burglar alarm systems but they have a built-in ultrasonic siren supposed
scare off a range of animals. If it's only cats involved then the variety
where you select the frequency range for the animal concerned is the
cheapest (they usually will have around 3 or 4 frequency ranges for either
cats or dogs or rats/mice or foxes I think). I bought a unit that has a
continually variable range that's supposed to deter cats and dogs and rats
etc... it seems to work for some cats but it hasn't kept the dogs away
(however I understand that when you also use the appropriate mains adaptor
for these units then they are a fair bit louder). If you choose to buy one
of these I'd suggest you shop around on the Net as I saw the same unit
being
sold at twice the price by some retailers. Once you've spotted one you
think
might be appropriate then Google the model number and you'll no doubt find
it being sold by several different companies at a range of prices.

HTH

Howard

I can endorse these Electronic scarers as well, BUT, watch which ones you
buy. We have two to keep the vermin out IF they get past the carpet gripper
strips on the fences, however one is 'tall and upright' and blows over if
placed on a windy place.

Also, keep moving them about. Rechargeable batteries are best and if you
have two, get three sets of batteries.

With the carpet gripper strips, nails along the tops of gates and two alarm
things, we are almost free of the vermin and we have a neighbour with three
of the horrible things :-((

Should be drowned at birth or a massive cull made.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk