Old 20-04-2007, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Will Wilkinson Will Wilkinson is offline

Default Whats the best thing to keep cats out.......... ?

In message , Howard
Haigh writes
"woodglass" wrote in message
.uk...
Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

New neighbours have moved in next door to my parents.

They have 7 cats that crap all over the garden.

We don't want to harm the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

woodglass...

You could try an ultrasonic pet scarer - these are small battery powered
devices that look a bit like the PIR detectors that are included in home
burglar alarm systems but they have a built-in ultrasonic siren supposed to
scare off a range of animals. If it's only cats involved then the variety
where you select the frequency range for the animal concerned is the
cheapest (they usually will have around 3 or 4 frequency ranges for either
cats or dogs or rats/mice or foxes I think). I bought a unit that has a
continually variable range that's supposed to deter cats and dogs and rats
etc... it seems to work for some cats but it hasn't kept the dogs away
(however I understand that when you also use the appropriate mains adaptor
for these units then they are a fair bit louder). If you choose to buy one
of these I'd suggest you shop around on the Net as I saw the same unit being
sold at twice the price by some retailers. Once you've spotted one you think
might be appropriate then Google the model number and you'll no doubt find
it being sold by several different companies at a range of prices.

HTH

Howard

We've had one of the Ca****ch ultrasonic scarers for a couple of years -
they do work and you can get an adapter to run them off the mains rather
than keep changing batteries. They're not cheap though, around £50 IIRC
but better than some of the cheaper alternatives as they have a motion
detector so only trigger on movement. The cats quickly learn that the
constant type aren't a threat and ignore them. Even the Ca****ch
benefits from relocating every couple of months so the cats don't learn
where the perimeter is. No connection with the company that produces
them, just a satisfied user. The RSPB sell them and no doubt other
stockists can be found on-line.

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net