Old 22-04-2007, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Death of a 'Crank'

On 20 Apr, 22:46, Sacha wrote:
Kay Canter who, with her husband David, started the vegetarian restaurant
ball rolling with their restaurant Cranks in Carnaby Street in the 60s, has
died in Totnes, Devon at the age of 85.

(snip)

How truly amazing. The first cook book I have ever bought in England
was the Cranks Recipe Book 26 years ago. I think I got it in a second
hand book shop and I was astonished to discover that there was books
about vegetarian cooking. That's why I bought it. Over the years it
stood there on my kitchen shelves and the only thing I now have left
of it is one page, from the savouries section, page 133/134 with
Buckweat pancakes, stir fried leeks and mushrooms and Cauliflower
cheese. I kept this page in a plastic portfolio where all my recipes
are filled, because I had stuck a sticker on this page with the recipe
for pumpkin soup - the best I've ever made and tasted. I didn't know I
had in my possession such an interesting part of English cooking
history. Thank you.