Old 29-04-2007, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baal Baal is offline

Default Pink bluebells

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/fshe...heetsq6.shtml:

Question from Pauline Alsop: Why did one of my bluebells turn pink
this year? I transplanted them 3 years ago and they've always been blue.

Bunny: There's a general consensus of opinion that if you plant them
upside down they will change colour. Maybe a squirrel dug it up, turned it
upside down, and pushed it back in the wrong way!

Anne: In natural populations you do get the odd pink or white
bluebell, and I think this one of yours has always been pink, it's just that
it happened to flower this year. It may have arisen from seed, or
vegetatively by bulbill. I don't think it has changed colour, it is just a
natural thing that bluebells will do.

Pippa: Earlier this year in the woods near my home there was a
definite sudden incidence of white bluebells. I've known those woods quite
well now for six years and I've not seen a single white one before, and I'm
sure it's just a case of seedlings arising. They can be pollinated by all
sorts of other bluebells from other areas, and as Anne says, there is a
tendency for them to do that sometimes and I think pink is just another
variation.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This year we have one clump of pink bluebells when we have never had any
before, anywhere. Does anyone know how this happens?

Garden Banter does not have permission to use my posts.
Join uk.rec.gardening instead.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk