Old 29-04-2007, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pink bluebells

In message , Sacha
writes
This year we have one clump of pink bluebells when we have never had any
before, anywhere. Does anyone know how this happens?

I'd guess that this is a seedling which is displaying a recessive trait.

Flower colour depends on several factors, among which are the nature and
concentration of the pigments involved, and the concentration of
Hydrogen (acidity) and other ions in the environment in which they are
stored.

For example, Hydrangea is well known for the flower colour varying with
soil chemistry. Presumably Hydrangea doesn't maintain its pigments in a
controlled chemical environment. Similarly a bluebell could have a
broken enzyme, leading to the chemical environment in which its pigments
are held not being controlled, and therefore a change in colour.

Alternatively, pigments are produced, one from another, in a chain of
reactions, catalysed by various enzymes. If one of the enzymes is broken
the end result of the change of reactions is a different pigment, with a
consequent change in flower colour.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley