Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener cliff_the_gardener is offline

Default Care of Ballerina apple tree

Joe,
I am in danger of repeating what others have said so my appologies.

The Ballerina types were bred by HRI East Malling as compact trees,
with little side growth / fruiting spurs - the rootstock should have
little bearing on them, although I know they do not perform on M27.
Your Polka came from a cross between Golden Delicious x McIntosh
Wijcik. So warm summers serve it well.
The pruning of them is in essence summer pruning. Summer pruning in
the books is late July / August, for me it is later - End August /
early September. Why? - because the early pruing, for me, results in
secondary growth.
As Jeff says - for the side shoots cut initially to three leaves
beyond the basal cluster - that being the initial group of leaves at
the base of the spur / side shoot. Any growth from this in subsequent
years is pruned to one leaf beyond the basal cluster. If the spur
gets too long or complicated, reduce it.
As far as reducing the main leader goes - the genreal advice is to
reduce by 1/3rd. If there has been little growth - reduce by 1/2 to
stimulate growth. This is done late winter / spring, before bud
burst.
When the trees are supplied they are propably 2 or 3 year old and
should not be allowed to fruit intil they are 4/5 year old. Early
fruiting does have a negative effect on sbsequent fruiting. Estimate
the age of the tree by looking at the pruning cuts made - from the
graft, follow the leader up - looking for evidence of cuts. Should
provide an indication of age.
As for fruiting - you only want one apple every 4 inches - so thin the
fruit after the June drop to achieve this. Over cropping could lead
to biennial bearing, where by the tree fruits well one year then has
an off year the next. Thinning the fruit helps to prevent this from
occuring.
Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire