Old 14-06-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Wasps building nest in my attic

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:06:04 -0700, wrote:

I have a bay window extending out over my deck and I have noticed
wasps regularly entering and exiting the ventilation space between the
gutter and the shingles. My wife, not a big fan of insects/wasps,
told me to get in the attic and do some spraying or else, which I
promptly did last fall (she may be small but she can pack a mean
bite, wife not wasps). After venturing into the attic and finding a
half dozen or so paper wasps nest (all small but some about 2 inches
in diameter), I sprayed them all and then returned later to knock down
the dead nest. The spring, the wasps are back and the wife is not to
happy about it. I ventured up in the attic again to doing some killing
and found that a lot of the nest were in the same general location as
last fall. Is there anything I can put in the attic to repel the
wasps? I read about Sevin dust but am unsure if that would work as a
repellent. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Drew

I use hornet/wasp spray, the kind that can shoot 10-15 feet. They
avoid the area for a few months, then I have to spray again. No big
deal, a can lasts 2+ years. I only spray wasps that are too close for
comfort, as wasps are clean and beneficial insects. You may need to
seal/caulk some areas.