Old 26-06-2007, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Quaking Grass - Briza media

On 26 Jun, 17:04, Ford Prefect wrote:
I've got a lot of Briza media (Quaking grass) seed heads and need some
advice on sowing, I've separated them so I'm left with seeds with
their 'husks' attached.
Do I sow them as they are or should I remove the 'husks' ?
Do I just sprinkle them on the growing medium?
What is best to do store them 'till next year (refrigerated or not?)
or sow now under glass?

Mine have self seeded and this must have been done in the autumn or
spring, when the seeds fall to the ground. I don't collect them
because I like seeing them in winter. It gives interest. So I wouldn't
remove the husk but keep the seed heads as they are. I store all my
seeds in envelopes and then they are placed in shoe boxes. When I then
use them to sow, I find that the husks of any seeds I collect
eventually dries and separate naturally, or fall out their husks. The
best way to sow them would be in situ (direct sow where you want them
to grow) - brizas being meadow grass it would be this early autumn or
then next spring - as you would for grass, when soil is still warm, or
warming up. Water is usually the problem - like with all grasses when
sowing .You must make sure they have enough and not too much. HTH

I don't refrigerate my seeds - I've tried and some got mouldy and I've
never found the need to do it.