Old 31-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Brian Watson

Default How critical is the oil/petrol ratio for a 2 stroke engine?

"Jon Weaver" wrote in message
om...
I have a McCulloch strimmer which takes a 40:1 petrol/oil mix.
However, my mixing bottle (which takes 1 litre of petrol and has a
pointed top graduated in different radios) has become 'bloated'

This means that when you fill it to the 1L mark, there is actually
more than 1L in the bottle.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I used to ride a Lambretta two-stroke scooter and frequently took liberties
with the petrol/oil mixture, persuading myself that it went faster with less
oil in the mixture.

I didn't blow it up and changed plugs no more frequently than my more
cautious fellow riders.

Therefore I would say that a little bit (say 20% error) in either direction
is not going to make any appreciable difference.

If you are still bothered, treat yourself to a metal measuring jug.

--
Brian
"I know about kittens and knitting. Will that do?"