Old 04-08-2007, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Sick and Dying Ivy, what is it and how can I fix it?

In article ,
Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 20:18:38 -0700, Tim wrote:
I have been looking around for awhile on the internet and can't figure
out what is killing my ivy. We have a substantial part of our yard as
ground-cover for ivy and I am convinced the Ivy is infected ,
evidenced by many large dead spots as well as some type of white
cobwebs all over the place.

Anyway, since I don't know how to describe it, here are several
pictures which should clean up the situation.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4...cframe1zl7.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3...cframe2kd8.jpg
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/7...cframe3cf7.jpg
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3...cframe4gp0.jpg

Thanks in advance for any information! (If the climate matters, I live
in Northern Virginia.)

White cobwebs could just be spiders cleaning up the insects. The two
things I'd guess first are a bacterial leaf blight caused by Xanthomonas
campestris, and too much sun.

Send a sample in to your plant pathology clinic.

Or just rip it up and plant something better. (English ivy is a real pest
out here in the PNW -- I've ripped up tons of it.)

Kay

"Pest" is way to immodest a word for English ivy. If anyone knows of
some method, short of herbicides or hard, vigilant work to remove it,
I'd love to hear it. Even when you pull it up, you have to stake it out
on hot dry ground or it will try and re-root.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/