Old 06-08-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

Default Chrerry Tree Infested w/ Ants or Termites?

Mike wrote:

It gets worse in that I sprayed Bonide Termite and Carpenter Ant Killer
into an opening in the tree which caused the ants to rpidly exit the tree
and I suspect the carpenter ants won't ever return to inside the tree
because of the spray and the spray may hurt the tree. Is it possible that
fungus could be in the tree? Fungus is on the outside of the tree.

The Bonide Termite and Carpenter Ant Killer looks to be a couple of
pyrethroids, which breaks down so ants probably could be back in within
a couple of months, hard to say. Fungi infected wood probably was what
gave the ants a place to nest to begin with. The fungus will be in parts
of the wood that are staying wet, not sure if there any way to avoid
such areas in any large tree.

Lar