Old 10-08-2007, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Chrerry Tree Infested w/ Ants or Termites?

Several years ago, beofre I bought the house someone and trimmed it
resulting in several places on the trunk that are entrance points for the
ants.

If they made flush cuts and used wound dressing I am sure you got rot. Just
the flush cut alone will stimulate decay because it removes the collar of
branch and truck tissue collectively termed the branch collar. The collar
has little chemical factories that resist the spread of pathogens into the
trees. If you remove the collar you remove this defense feature. In Texas,
years after years of flush cutting and applying wound dressing has really
stimulated oak wilt. If you want to make a home for small wildlife you can
make a flush cut and a cavity will form. Not good for the tree but good for
small wildlife.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.