Old 26-09-2007, 07:43 PM posted to alt.permaculture
len garden len garden is offline

Default How come only 2 threads here?

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:32:23 +0100, JakeD
wrote:

jake

snipped

Point taken, Len. I totally agree that complete self-sufficiency must
be close to impossible and undoubtedly not much fun! I was thinking
more along the lines of needing to be much more self-sufficint that I
am at present. At the very least, not reliant on supermarkets and
such. Ted Trainer wrote, somewhe

to me it is more reality to say "self-reliant" or "self-supplementry"
plus they are achievable in various levels, just keeping it in
realisitic terms.

" We must develop as much self-sufficiency as we reasonably can at the
national level, meaning less trade, at the household level, and
especially at the neighbourhood, suburban, town and local regional
level. We need to convert our presently barren suburbs into thriving
regional economies which produce most of what they need from local
resources."

the community needs to come back to working as a community, and mange
our use of resources in the home so that the target of sustainability
can be achieved to some degree, over here the current gov'
indoctrinated trend s to encourage people to buy the smallest sized
tank to gain the maximum rebate and that is what is happenng and now
the administrator can see that crunching numbers does not work in
reality those small tnaks now sunbsidised by tax payer funds are doing
almost nought to help conserve water.

it is somewhat pleasing now but 18 months after the scheme began to
see more and more larger more usable cpacity tanks being delivered,
still not enough around us we have businesses who have acres and acres
of tanks stored all are those little low capacity tanks.

and here in the modern yuppy ville called suburbia the young home
onwers just have a modicom of a display type garden and though their
yards are smallish they keep most of it under lawn with no effort to
grow any sort of food.

most don't use their grey water very few do for keeping that lawn lush
looking, and most don't have water tanks, they do sneek their vehicles
into their back yards so they can wash them down out of sight
something they aren't supposed to do. old/modern indoctrinated habits
are dying very hard

snipped

snipped

Nicely-done website, with plenty of substance, thanks; I will be
revisiting that one!

With peace and brightest of blessings,

thanks jake

Likewise..