Old 03-10-2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Kingdon Jim Kingdon is offline

Default Transplanting Wintergreen

Nasty strawberries - now there's a combo I don't often see. How can
strawberries be nasty?

Oh, I don't know. The Indian Strawberry (Potentilla indica, also known
as Duchesnea indica) has yellow flowers and small bad tasting fruit.
(whether you'd call it a strawberry is an open question, though, as it
is more closely related to cinquefoil than to a garden
strawberry). Although some people cultivate it as a ground cover, it
does spread quite readily and can be hard to contain (based on what
I've read, and experience here in the Washington, DC area), thus
putting it in the "weed" category for many.

In our yard, it is semi-tolerated. Certainly a step up from the
bindweed, broadleaf plantain, dandelion, and some of the other weeds,
but in the long term we'll probably replace it with something else.