Old 07-10-2007, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] lance.d.bresee@intel.com is offline

Default Transplanting Wintergreen

enigma wrote:
wrote in

Fruitless or small fruits? Yellow or white flowers? (Not
that it really matters, I'm just curious whether it is the
same one we have).

Fruitless with small white flowers in late spring to early
summer. Nasty stickery runnery things.

stickery? as in small spines along/around the length of the
stem, which is prostrate?
those aren't strawberries. they are likely what we call
'dewberries', a prostrate & not very fruitful form of
blackberry. when they *do* bear fruit, it's really good, but
it doesn't happen very often.

Yes,
on closer examination, the prolific guys are a type of blackberry.
The vines ran so low to the ground they were covered by grass and
clover, so appeared like underground runners. Pulling them up reveals
long vines with blackberry like thorns.

On a pleasant note, the sunny patch of wintergreen has berries now, so
the plants are faring well enough in the sun, but are in danger of
being overgrown. In looking for the most pleasant place to enjoy a
new patch, I discovered more wintergreen growing in the woods. I
found a lovely place to transplant to in order to fill out existing
wintergreen growth, but there is a lot of brish piled up that I'll
have to remove first, so it may be too late to transplant after I
clear the brush away (mostly old dead white pine branches trimmed from
the lower trunk). Can I transplant in spring?

Another question,
I have some patches of moss growing in a sunny fiels. I had assumed
it to be sphnagum, but that is a shade/bog moss. I'd like to
encourage this as a ground-cover in the paths between my blackberry
bushes, Anyone know anything about moss and making it comfey?