Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default My Dog Keeps Killing My Lawn

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Sacha
writes
On 9/10/07 00:00, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Mark Woodcock" wrote in
message

Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very
patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Get rid of the dog!

Or keep it on a lead and only let it out into the garden when you can
control where it goes.

Better yet, keep a bucket of water by the door and chuck it on the grass
after the dog has peed.

Alternatively, chuck it on the dog before it has peed on the grass and it
will learn to pee somewhere else :-)

--
Malcolm

Some good and some stupid suggestions. However a dog, or in this case Bitch
by the sounds of things, CAN be trained to go elsewhere, and where you want
them to go. I have explained that Guide Dogs are taught to go when and where
told and this is done with praise, not chucking buckets of water over them.

We were 'Puppy Walkers' for the Guide Dogs for the Blind and we did the
initial training from 6 weeks in the case of Labs and 10 weeks in the case
of Alsatians, up to about 12 months old when they went back for Guide Dog
Training into harness.
When a dog wants a wee, you know when this is likely to be, the dog wants to
go out!! then you take it to a specific spot and once it has wee'd you
praise it. There is a word used by Puppy walkers and Guide Dog Owners as a
command and I don't think it right to disclose on an open newsgroup because
of cranks which frequent the groups. But make a command or word of your own,
which don't forget, can and should be used outside as well ;-)

If your dog/bitch is of such an age that re training is going to be a little
more difficult because of 'habit', then section/rope off the lawn and lay
some turfs elsewhere and take him/her there. Some dogs 'insist' on weeeing
on grass!! After a while that grass will be no more and you can replace it
first with gravel then slabs. You now have an area easily hosed down :-))

That is the wee side of things. Don't know what you do with solid matter,
but we would dig a very deep hole with a border spade as deep as we could
under a tree in a quiet border somewhere, a weeping Kilmarnock Willow was
superb for this, and pile the earth to one side. Any solids were dropped in
the bottom and covered with a small amount of soil. This hole took ages to
fill and when full dig another either alongside or elsewhere. After a year
or so, the same site can be excavated again.

Hope that helps as its a case of been there, done that, got the tee shirt
:-))

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.