Old 09-12-2007, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
RF RF is offline

Default Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Don H3 wrote:

On Dec 8, 8:12 pm, RF wrote:
Hi All,

These are very nutritious seeds, loaded with omega-3s, etc and very
expensive to buy - locally (California) about $1/ounce.
Visitwww.wikipedia.organd type chia to get lots of info.

I would like to know of your experiences in growing, harvesting and
storing them.

TIA

RF

Yeah I bought 2 CHIA Herb Gardens last winter. They grew exactly
as the instructions said they would. At first. Then they died.

All of them reached 2 inches in height within a few weeks as
predicted.
The Chives were the only thing (of 6 plantings) that survived to reach
3 inches.

Any attempt to do any thinning or separate anything from the CHIA
"growing sponge"
also killed it. Immediately. Everything.

Later I planted some leftover CHIA seeds in window boxes. They lived a
little longer,
but were always overgrown and shaded-out by store and ebay-bought
seeds long
before they reached maturity or produced anything useful. Long before.

I'm thinking who my worst enemy is to give them the remaining Herb
Garden for
Christmas. Somewhere in the instructions it clearly said "special
hybrids".
Yeah. Specialized to grow quick and die quicker.

I've seen Chia growing in the wild.

Might be best as an outdoor plant?

Thanks Guys for the responsees.

I did a little digging this morning and found that the chia has grown
wild as far north as Mondocino county in CA.
I live in Sonoma. right next door, so it appears I am in the right
place. Very important, once it starts to grow it
needs no more water.

There is lots of info at the link:

http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/p...p?symbol=SACO6

Good planting and even better eating :-)

RF