Old 27-01-2008, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
RW RW is offline

Default Curing and splitting wood for burning

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...
Having had some trees pruned I now have a pile of logs. Cut to length
but will need splitting before I can burn them in the grate. I have
Holly and Willow wood.

Question is do I split them now or wait until they've cured and then split
them? I'm expecting to have to leave them about 2 years to cure unsplit,
would it speed the process if I split them now?

On a related note, I've looked at local and national hire shop web sites
but can't immediately locate a log splitter. I don't expect to have any
more tree logs coming my way for a good few years so hiring seems to make
more sense then spending something like £200 for a splitter (I know you
can do it by hand and I also know that there are splitters for as little
as £150). I'm in "South Somerset" (between
Yeovil/Frome/Wells/Street/Glastonbury/Radstock and, at a push, Bristol,
Bath, Dorchester, Weymouth.).

Perhaps ask a local Tree surgeon to assist, they might have even more logs
if you ask and suggest there is beer involved ;-)