Old 27-01-2008, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Curing and splitting wood for burning

In article ,
"Graham Harrison" writes:
| Having had some trees pruned I now have a pile of logs. Cut to length but
| will need splitting before I can burn them in the grate. I have Holly and
| Willow wood.

Don't bother with the willow - it's trash. It won't keep going until
completely dry, and then it burns to nothing in next to no time.

| Question is do I split them now or wait until they've cured and then split
| them? I'm expecting to have to leave them about 2 years to cure unsplit,
| would it speed the process if I split them now?

Up to you and yes, respectively.

| On a related note, I've looked at local and national hire shop web sites but
| can't immediately locate a log splitter. I don't expect to have any more
| tree logs coming my way for a good few years so hiring seems to make more
| sense then spending something like £200 for a splitter (I know you can do it
| by hand and I also know that there are splitters for as little as £150).

How many tons of wood you you have? You can split wood with a couple
of hand axes, but buying a couple of wedges and a maul or club hammer
will probably cost you less than hiring a functional mechanical device.
Anything that works is likely to be large and heavy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.