Old 15-02-2008, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Deer eating my Hick's yew trees

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:47:35 -0000, WPB wrote:

Hello, all: It's been an especially harsh winter here in Toronto and, for
the first time I've ever seen, some deer (2) have been coming up the ravine
into my backyard and have eating all the needles off my yew trees. My
question is two-fold:

1. Even though the damage is done and the deer aren't returning (there's
nothing left on the trees to eat), is there a way to deter them from coming
into my yard and nibbling my trees? I have a huge raccoon problem, too,
and have just given up on that.

2. More importantly, the deer have left the branches, but all the needles
on the bottom three feet of the tree are GONE. Will the tree recover and
replace its needles? Or is it a goner?

I'm grateful for any information or advice!

David

I feel your pain. I lost many plants to deer. You can...

select plants less desirable to deer,
surround the plant with protective netting or fencing,
use an electric fence,
get a watch dog,
develop a taste for venison.