Old 20-02-2008, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
WPB WPB is offline

Default Deer eating my Hick's yew trees

Thanks so much! That's great advice!

David

Not a bush that deer will leave alone but once established, kerria
co-exists nicely with deer. Their winter munching serves as a natural
pruning that will result in a fuller bush. A nice compromise I think
as both parties win - the deer get some winter munchies and your bush
flourishes as a result. However, when the plants are young, the deer
munching can kill them. I just wrapped some wire fencing supported by
angle irons around their perimeter for the first 2 years to keep them
safe.

I lived on a wooded acre (including a ravine such as you mention
having at your place) for 20 years. The kerria were recommended to me
by a friend who also had heavy deer traffic on their property. Gave
them a try and I did enjoy them. They prefer full sunlight but mine
were placed in areas of partial light and did well (zone 5).

When hungry enough, deer will eat anything and everything...