Old 21-04-2008, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris[_3_] Chris[_3_] is offline

Default How much water for tomato plants in pots?

In article , K
writes
Chris ] writes
In article
,
alrafter writes
On Apr 20, 6:06 pm, Chris ] wrote:
I am growing tomato seedlings on the windowsill in 9cm pots in general
purpose compost. The plants are about 2cm tall at the moment.
How much water do they need?
And how often?
And do you put the water in the tray and let it soak up into the pots?

Make sure that you don't over water, only water when the compost gets
dry. On no account leave them standing in water in the trays.

I am concerned not to over-water.
Do you just look at the surface and see if it's dry?
There are eight 9cm pots in a tray.
Does a litre added to the tray each week sound about right?
(I'm trying to get a feel for how much is typically needed.)

I water from above, 1cm(ish) deep whatever the size of the pot, and
repeat whenever the soil is dry.
If you're watering from below, put about an inch in the tray, and throw
away any that hasn't been soaked up a couple of hours later.
Feel for dryness rather than look - compost can look damp when it
isn't.
Get used to examining at the soil and the plants, rather than being
prescriptive - the amount of water needed varies enormously with both
temperature and wind.

Thanks for your advice, which sounds sensible.
Perhaps I should have an extra plant pot, with no seedling in it, for
examination of the dryness of the compost. Then I could get a finger
down deep into it.
BTW there isn't much wind in the kitchen!
--
Chris