Old 19-05-2008, 10:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

Default Push Lawnmower Repair Question??? HELP!!!

On May 17, 11:51*am, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am new to the group, and hoping that somebody can help me out ASAP???
I have a 2 year old Sears Craftsman 3-in-1 ( side
discharge/mulching/bagging ) push lawnmower.

Last summer I noticed that the lawnmower started leaking gasoline
through the air filter, when I would turn the mower on its side, to
clean the underneath, after mowing my lawn.

Anyway, I took the lawnmower to Sears, because it was still under a 2
year factory warranty, and told them of the problem.

After a few weeks, they got back to me, and told me that the reason it
was leaking gas through the air filter was because I "must have run over
something, because the crankshaft was bent".

They told me that I would have to pay $160 dollars, because a crankshaft
is NOT part of the 2 year factory warranty!?

Anyway, I went to Google and Yahoo and did a search on bent crankshafts,
and I DIDN'T see not even ONE thing that stated that a "bent crankshaft"
will cause gas to leaking through the air filter???

I saw a bunch of stuff that said that when gas leaks through the air
filter, its usually a carberator problem with the float and needle being
stuck???

So, what I would like to know, is Sears ripping me off $160 bucks??? I
did read that it is possible for oil to leak out of the lawnmower from a
"bent crankshaft", but will a "bent crankshaft" cause GAS to leak out
through the air filter???

Any info. will greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Oh, that's easy. Yes, they are ripping you off. You are one of many
these days; apparently Sears and its employees are colluding to run
the company into bankruptcy for some reason.

If you'd bent your crankshaft enough to make a difference you'd know;
it's not impossible that it is bent but that has nothing to do with
the gas problem and if you can't notice it then it's not a problem.

But to bend the crankshaft you really need to hit a boulder or
something; mowers usually have a slippy plastic thing holding the
blade to the crank so that on such occasions it takes the brunt.

Anyway, the solution to the gas dripping problem is not to tip the
mower over. unlike chainsaws and the like, the mower has a floatbowl
carb instead of a diaphragm carb, and will spill gas when tilted.
might make oil come out the breather too. if you want to clean out the
bottom of the mower you need to either put it up on something like two
sawhorses, or get an electric.