Old 20-05-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adam Lipscombe Adam Lipscombe is offline

Default How to rewind line on to strimmer head?

Hi

Forgive me if this a no-brainer.

I cannot rewind new line onto my black and decker electric strimmer.
Its the type where you stop and start the motor to feed the line.

It has a detachable red plastic cover over the line spooler. When this is removed the spooler just
pulls off. The spooler has 2 separate channels where one winds each piece of line, and a couple of
notches to hold the end of each piece line when it has been wound.

When you replace the spooler in the machine the line feeds through 2 metal "gates" - the part the
protrudes does the cutting.

I am clearly missing the plot because when I wind on new line and then use it it lasts for @ 30 secs
and then does not strim. When I look at the spooler the line has either withdrawn inside the spooler
completely (i.e. not sticking through the "gate" and hence is not available for cutting) or in a
tangled mess around the spooler.

Is there a trick to this? How tight does one have to wind the line?

Any help is much appreciated before I throw it away in frustration!

Thanks - Adam