Old 21-05-2008, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Clive in Kent Clive in Kent is offline

Default How to rewind line on to strimmer head?

"Adam Lipscombe" wrote in message
Hi

Forgive me if this a no-brainer.

I cannot rewind new line onto my black and decker electric strimmer.
Its the type where you stop and start the motor to feed the line.

It has a detachable red plastic cover over the line spooler. When this is
removed the spooler just pulls off. The spooler has 2 separate channels
where one winds each piece of line, and a couple of notches to hold the
end of each piece line when it has been wound.

When you replace the spooler in the machine the line feeds through 2 metal
"gates" - the part the protrudes does the cutting.

I am clearly missing the plot because when I wind on new line and then use
it it lasts for @ 30 secs and then does not strim. When I look at the
spooler the line has either withdrawn inside the spooler completely (i.e.
not sticking through the "gate" and hence is not available for cutting) or
in a tangled mess around the spooler.

Is there a trick to this? How tight does one have to wind the line?

Any help is much appreciated before I throw it away in frustration!

Thanks - Adam

Hi Adam

Think I have the same strimmer.IIRC it has an arrow to show direction line
has to be wound on the spool. It's important it's wound in the right
direction otherwise it won't feed.

HTH

Clive in Kent