Old 21-05-2008, 04:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default SEARS LIED!!!???

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
My Craftsman push mower does have the Briggs and Stratton engine, but if
you are standing behind it where the handlebars are, the gas tank is on
the right side of the engine, and the oil tank is on the left side of
the engine.

But what I still don't get is, how is it that when I turn the gas tank
up on its left side, and the gas in the tank is facing down towards the
ground, then why does gas leak UP and out and through the air filter
which is facing upwards towards the sky?????

Before I bought this craftsman mower 2 years ago, I was using an old 22
inch Murray push mower that was like 20-30 years old. It also had a
Briggs and Stratton engine. I would always tilt that lawnmower up on its
left side as well, to scrape the underneath, when I was done mowing the
lawn. That mower NEVER leaked not even one drop of gas or oil, when it
was tipped up on its side, or even tipped completely over!!!!

Even though they both have Briggs and Stratton engines, is Murray a
better brand mower than Craftsman??? Or is it simply just because stuff
was made better back then??? 20 or 30 years ago, they made better
quality items, that were built to last?????

Not sure about the why on the gas leaking by now, but not then. I have a 1
year old Bohlen push mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. I have leaned
it opposite the side of the gas tank for cleaning the bottom of the shroud
deck with a garden hose a few times. Its never been more than a couple of
minutes as I'm prepared with a pressurized water hose near the mower before
I tilt the mower. Buildup of clay mud underneath the deck is most likely
the problem in your case is my guess.

The much older mowers had the oil fill port at the base of the engine. They
were not as likely to leak as the fill cap was oil-tight. Older such mowers
had a manually operated choke lever, and speed control lever as well.
--
Dave